Why Chocolate Is Bad for Dogs: The Dangers of Chocolate for Dogs

Why Chocolate Is Bad for Dogs: The Dangers of Chocolate for Dogs


Chocolate is one of the most dangerous foods for dogs. What's more, it's not just dark chocolate that is dangerous. Some types of milk and white chocolate also pose a threat to pups.


The danger in this sweet treat comes from the cocoa powder which contains theobromine and caffeine. Dogs metabolize these chemicals differently than humans do, making them more toxic to dogs than to people.


This blog post will teach you how to keep your dog safe from eating chocolate and how much chocolate can kill a dog. It will teach you about the signs of poisoning and what you should do if your pup eats some chocolate.


Section 1: Why chocolate is bad for dogs Section 2: The effects of chocolate on dogs Section 3: How much chocolate can kill a dog? Section 4: How to keep your dog safe from eating chocolate Section 5: Conclusion

Why chocolate is bad for dogs


There are several reasons why chocolate is dangerous for dogs. The first and most important reason is that theobromine and caffeine present in the chocolate causes very similar symptoms in dogs as they do in humans.


These symptoms range from agitated behavior to seizures to death. The problem is that these symptoms take time to develop and are usually not obvious until they are severe.


The second reason is that chocolate is extremely addictive to dogs. Like humans, dogs are designed to seek out chocolate and will do so often.


The darker the chocolate, the more the dog will crave it and the more likely he or she will become physically dependent on it.


This is bad for the dog because it means he or she will seek out chocolate in other forms, such as licking table tops or licking themselves.


The effects of chocolate on dogs


These include drooling, vomiting, hyperactivity, excessive drinking, excessive urination, convulsions, tremors, and even death. Toxicity and dosage.


A study done by the Department of Animal Sciences at the University of Texas in El Paso discovered that all the dogs in the study who ingested a small amount of chocolate died.


Two of the dogs who ate a large amount of chocolate also died. The number of dogs who survived also depended on the amount of chocolate they ate.


If a dog ate just a small amount of chocolate, they were all given a clean bill of health. However, if the dog ate the recommended number of calories for a 100-pound dog, they were severely sick.


How much chocolate can kill a dog?


How much chocolate is too much for your dog? At one pound of pure chocolate, it is recommended that no more than two ounces (60g) is consumed daily.


That's about eight ounces (200g) for an adult female. For adult males, it's recommended that no more than six ounces (170g) is consumed daily. And in an average 40-pound (18 kg) adult dog, no more than four ounces (110g) is consumed daily.


Just for reference, one ounce (30g) of white chocolate contains 54 milligrams of caffeine.


How much chocolate is too much for a dog's diet? The Environmental Working Group and their "superfoods" pet food guide recommend that dogs eat no more than one cup of chocolate each week.


This amounts to about an ounce (28g) of pure chocolate per pound of the average American dog.


How to keep your dog safe from eating chocolate


Chocolate is toxic to dogs if it is ingested or licked by a dog. Just one ounce of chocolate or 1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup per day could be lethal to a dog.


The amount of chocolate in a small bag of Ritter Sport chocolate would be enough to kill a small dog. The canines of the Great Pyrenees breed are especially susceptible to chocolate poisoning because of their higher level of cortisol, a stress hormone.


This combination of stress hormones causes chocolate to trigger their stress responses which cause them to go into shock. This is why chocolate is more toxic to dogs than to humans.


If your dog eats chocolate, they may have severe vomiting, hyperventilation, tremors, seizures, paralysis and death.


Conclusion


Dogs love chocolate just as much as we do, and, in moderation, most dogs will enjoy it. However, if you do allow your dog to eat chocolate, here are some important things to keep in mind:


Keep it in a compartmented, sealed, and air-tight container. Do not leave it out on the counter. Take it away from your dog immediately if he eats it. Keep the chocolate away from children. And lastly, don't keep chocolate in your home or car.